Randomly decided to make gingerbread using a very old cookbook, after struggling to measure out 8oz of golden syrup (not fun as it went everywhere) I then had to heat it with butter, sugar, milk and strangly marmalade (which I didn't think went into gingerbread), whilst this weird brown liquidy concoction was still hot it had to be poured over eggs, slight alarm bells went of as eggs + heat = cooked eggs. I waited for the liquid ingredients to go cool before adding them to the eggs, the eggs went slightly lumpy looking, I guessed that this was how they were meant to look and just in case it wasn't I whisked the ingredients very fast then poured them into the dry ingredients and mixed really fast. Then I real;ised that randomly deciding to make cakes was probably not the wisest decision, as looking through the cupboards I found that there was no cake dishes at all in the whole house. So deciding to improvise I poured my mixture into a turkey dish! Thinking that the mixture was either going to be inedible due to the egg + hot liquid incident, or burn due to the turkey dish having different depths and the very unhelpful cookbook not having temperatures in centigrade, I had a slightly worrying wait. After 45 mins the gingerbread was ready, slightly burnt at the edges but definately not inedible! So my first attempt at making gingerbread was a success in my books, it may not look to pretty, and the outside of it may have been burnt, but other than that it tasted better than some that shops sell. : D
Blessed Be.
Awesome, I shall request some when I come to visit =P Or you come to visit me.
ReplyDeleteWell done with the domestic success